Title IX calls for equal opportunities for both sexes in athletic participation, scholarships and benefits and services provided to teams. It is a US Federal law that states:
“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
Title IX applies to all educational institutions, both public and private, that receive federal funds. Almost all private colleges and universities must abide by Title IX regulations because they receive federal funding through federal financial aid programs used by their students.
There are three basic parts of Title IX as it applies to College Sports:
- Participation: Title IX requires that women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. Title IX does not require institutions to offer identical sports but an equal opportunity to play;
- Scholarships: Title IX requires that female and male student-athletes receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and
- Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.
Since the inception of Title IX, there has been exponential growth in female athletes competing in US college sport with the number increasing from 32,000 to 150,000 during the past 30 years. With this, the demand from US college sports programs to recruit international female athletes has also increased; creating incredible opportunities for female sports scholars from all backgrounds and nationalities.
What happens on a call?
A call with our USA Education Consultants is your first chance to discuss your future academic or sporting pathways with an expert.
During the call, you will:
- Get an idea of what it might take for you to reach your dream university
- Get a personalised and detailed quote of our services based on your needs
- Understand what financial and time commitment it will take to get into a top university
- Discuss the strength of your application profile